Classic Traditional Needlepoint for the Most Discriminating Stitchers
C A N V A S W O R K S
This canvas is shade painted.
1. Are the colors on the webpage accurate? Yes -- and no. The clarity of our digital artwork makes some colors especially bright and darkens others. Our pictures don't hold a candle to our handpainted canvases.
2. How do I know if your canvas will fit my bench? (or footstool, or chair -- whatever)? We always include two inches of blank canvas on each side of the design for your upholsterer to use when blocking a stitched canvas for furniture and recommend that you stitch an extra inch for "turn-under." This means that we might want to add as much as three inches on each side of your canvas to help the upholsterer. If you aren't certain what size to order, ask your retailer to give us a call.
3. What is a Kidney Pillow? In the needlepoint trade, we call the small pillow that you tuck at the back of your chair a kidney pillow or a lumbar pillow. Generally a rectangle, the size is not specific but it offers you an alternative to a full size pillow. We don't show most of the KP pillows just to save space -- but we keep a generous inventory of our standard size pillows in the kidney size as well.
4. I like your designs but your colorways don't work for me. Do you paint custom canvases? Yes, we are happy to adjust our paint colors to fit your home. However, our delivery time is often a number of months out and we don't accept cancellations once your order has been sent to the painters.
5. What is the difference between shade painting and stitch painting? Shade painting is much like color book style - each color is blended across the canvas to show depth and shadow. Individual designs may have minor differences since they are each hand painted. Shade paintings can be easily made larger or smaller by making the outline of the pictures larger or smaller.
With stitch painting, specific colors are painted on every intersection of the canvas. All copies of a design are exactly the same on each canvas, no matter the size of the mesh. If you need a stitch painted canvas to be larger (or smaller), we would change the mesh size to be larger (or smaller) but every stitch is still precisely painted not withstanding the mesh size.
These pictures below illustrate the difference in shade painting and stitch painting.
6. Your design is too (big/small). Can you make it (bigger/smaller)? Often we stock our designs on more than the standard 13m. The space available to us here precludes us from listing all we have in inventory. If you are interested in a particular design or prefer to stitch on a particular mesh size, give us a call. We would be happy to let you know what we have that is ready to ship.
AP 50 - Pugnacious
PO 149 - A Valentine Sampler
This design combines both styles of painting. The elephant is shade painted. His back pack and the border are stitch painted.
AP 4/PO 23 - Maharajah, Turkoman border
This canvas is stitch painted.
Frequently Asked Questions